75th Anniversary Celebration
The Department of Statistics at Iowa State University invites you to celebrate 75 years of education, research, and engagement.
Join us for a series of event options in Ames, Friday, September 30th and Saturday, October 1st, 2022.
Connect with Statistics alumni, relive ISU memories, and enjoy this special celebration as we recognize all those who comprise the fabric of our Department.
Registration is now closed. If you would like to contact us for late registration, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Change in Plans?
Substitutions, changes, and cancellations may be made by emailing email@example.com. Substitutions and changes must be made by 5pm on September 28th.
Friday, September 30th, Snedecor Hall
- 3:30-6pm Registration and poster session, Snedecor Hall tour and reception
Saturday, October 1st, Howe Hall – Alliant Energy Lee Liu Auditorium
8:00am Registration and continental breakfast
- Department Chair Dan Nettleton
- LAS Dean Beate Schmittmann
- CALS Dean Daniel Robison
8:45-9:20am Dan Nettleton (Current state and plans for the future; Short video)
9:20-9:40am Rohit Deo (PhD of 1995, New York University)
9:40-10am Karen Hulting (PhD of 1989, Medtronic)
10-10:30am Break (light refreshments will be provided)
- Dale Zimmerman (PhD of 1986, University of Iowa)
- Jon Hobbs (PhD of 2013, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory)
- Ann Cannon (PhD of 1994, Cornell College)
- Yihui Xie (PhD of 2013, Posit, PBC formerly RStudio, PBC)
12:00-1:30pm Lunch break (lunch will be provided)
1:30-2:20pm Panel discussion: Career in Statistics (moderator: Zhengyuan Zhu)
- Andreea Erciulescu (PhD of 2015, Westat)
- Jay Ver Hoef (PhD of 1991, Alaska Fisheries Science Center)
- Sarah Nusser (PhD of 1990, Iowa State University)
- Yongming Qu (PhD of 2002, Eli Lilly and Company)
- Michael Schuckers (PhD of 1999, St. Lawrence University)
2:25-3:15pm Panel discussion: Future of Statistics (moderator: Jarad Niemi)
- Fred Hulting (PhD of 1989, General Mills)
- Hui Lin (PhD of 2013, Shopify)
- Steven Lund (PhD of 2012, National Institute of Standards and Technology)
- Shu Yang (PhD of 2014, North Carolina State University)
3:15-3:30pm Break (light refreshments will be provided)
3:30-4:30pm Share-a-memory session (all are invited to participate)
6:00-8:00pm Conference Banquet at Gateway Hotel (included in the conference registration)
Directions: Centrally located, Ames is easily accessed by U.S. Highways 30 and 69, as well as I-35.
- Flying? Ames is serviced by the Des Moines International Airport(airport code DSM), and is a quick 40-minute drive from the airport. Located north on I-35, the Des Moines Airport is a quick drive from Des Moines to ISU and serviced with many direct flights and by all major airlines.
- Parking Friday: School is in session on Fridays, so parking options close to Snedecor are limited. There is convenient parking close to Snedecor building in the Armory Lot 21. Here is a quick visual.
- Parking Saturday: Designated campus lots open up for free parking weekdays after 5:30pm until 7am and on weekends after 5:30pm on Friday until Monday at 7am. See the Weekend Parking Map for areas offering free parking on weekends and evenings. Read signs carefully. Some lots and specific stalls require permits all hours of everyday. Medical/handicapped stalls, 24 hour red signed reserve stalls, and other specifically restricted stalls are enforced all hours, all days. Signs at the entrances and individual stalls in each lot, will dictate the parking regulations for each lot. This map gives you an easy reference!
- If you would like to spend more time on campus and prefer to have a day pass, you may opt to get a visitor parking permit.
The Gateway Hotel & Conference Center will be the official hotel for the conference. The Gateway Hotel & Conference Center features free parking, heated indoor swimming pool, sauna, whirlpool, fitness facility, business center with workstations, and the onsite restaurant and bar, the IowaStater.
You can reserve a room online or call the hotel directly at 515-292-8600. Rooms are at the special rate of $119 per night plus tax (currently 12%). The special block of rooms will be available until Sunday, September 18, 2022 or until the block is full.
If you are interested in options outside of the conference hotel, Ames has everything you are looking for! Access a complete hotel listing for more selections!