The statistical consulting group includes statistics faculty and advanced graduate students. We will provide assistance by in person meetings (preferred), virtual meetings (Skype, Zoom, WebEx), or e-mail. Please send in requests using the online form found at the bottom of this page. A consultant will contact you to determine how best to work with you. Below, we briefly describe what we do and do not do; a more extensive document provides a guide to our expectations.
What we do:
- research design, sample size calculations
- choosing statistical methods
- use of statistical computing packages (R, SAS, and some JMP) to analyze data
- interpretation of results
What we do not do:
- teach basic statistical methods; we expect you to have taken STAT 401/587 or an equivalent course.
- help with your statistics homework: please see your course TA.
- last minute projects with short deadlines – it is the responsibility of the researcher to provide ample time for statistical analysis – depending on the complexity of the problem and the current workload, a few weeks may be required.
College-specific consulting services (updated Fall 2023)
- College of Agricultural and Life Sciences: The AES Consulting Group provides statistical consulting for research by students and faculty of Iowa State University. Priority is given to researchers associated with the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, but help is available to researchers from other academic areas when time permits. Please click on the "Make an appointment" link below.
- College of Business: Contact Ben Jacobs, email@example.com, for assistance
- College of Engineering: The Engineering Consulting Group provides statistical consulting for research by students and faculty of Iowa State University. Priority is given to researchers associated with the College of Engineering, but help is available to researchers from other academic areas when time permits. Please click on the "Make an appointment" link below.
- College of Veterinary Medicine: Contact Danyang Zhang, firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Other colleges: These provide no support to the consulting group. We will provide support when able. Please click on the "Make an appointment" link below. We will let you know promptly if we are unable to provide support.
To obtain a consultation: (all except Business and VetMed)
- Make an appointment online (Your computer must be either on the ISU campus network or connected to it via VPN.) (You should be contacted within 2 days). Please familiarize yourself with our expectations.
- We get no support from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences or the College of Human Sciences. We will assist students, staff, and faculty from those colleges when we have time and the appropriate expertise. Please submit a request and we will advise whether we can help.
- Researchers in Business and VetMed have dedicated consultants. Please contact them directly. E-mail addresses are in the college-specific information above.
Other sources for statistical consulting:
- Government and non-profit organizations in the local community can request statistical consulting through Statistics in the Community (StatCom), a student-based community outreach program that serves local communities throughout the nation.
- For researchers developing and analyzing surveys, please see the Survey & Behavioral Research Services (SBRS) and the Center for Survey Statistics & Methodology (CSSM).